We all know we should, but sometimes it’s hard to know how to take that first step into regular exercise. Here are five simple ways, that will have you in a fitness lifestyle in no time at all.
The Five Ways to a Consistent Fitness Lifestyle
- Start with something small. Put those shoes on and go for a walk. Start with 10 minutes. Every couple days, add 5 more minutes until you are at 30-45 minutes a day. When that doesn’t challenge you anymore, walk faster or pick those feet up a little and start jogging. A common goal for a lot of people is being able to run or jog 3 miles and if this is yours, the Couch-to-5k plan is a great way to get started!
- Consistency is KEY. Even if it’s only 20 minutes. Hey! Even if it’s only 5 minutes, make it your personal challenge to move for that amount of time each day. Whether it’s jumping jacks, a quick jog, a brisk walk, or body weight exercises. Take that time to focus on getting your blood pumping and your heart rate up.
- Consider signing up for a 5k race. There’s nothing quite as motivating to get you moving as signing up for an event with your hard earned money. I’m a firm believer that most people value things more if they invest in them. So, if you know that you’ve put your money into something, you want to get your money’s worth out of it! Hence, signing up for a race or event can be a huge draw to get out there every day and work towards your goal!
- Make sure you get the appropriate rest. Working out with a little bit of muscle soreness is fine, but if your muscles are really sore, take the time to let them rest and rebuild! Appropriate rest for your body is just as important as physical exertion. As you advance in your fitness level, you can also take “active” rest days, where you do light stretching, a walk, or yoga.
- ALWAYS do a workout on Monday. We ALL know it. Mondays tend to be blah. You’re coming off a weekend of relaxing, family-time, and just having fun and then Monday hits. Back to work or school and it’s kind of depressing. This can be the hardest day to work out on, but because of that it can be the most important! Starting your week off with a workout, will not only give you energy for that day, but it will give you that extra momentum to keep it going throughout the week! Instead of thinking, “well, I failed Monday..” and then just putting it off each day that week, you’ll be “I worked out on Monday! I can do this!”
I hope these five little steps will help you in becoming a healthier, happier YOU! Check back soon for more articles on health and fitness!