TRX Straps: My New Favorite Gym Addition in 2017
Are you traveling and need a solution for working out on a budget? Or can’t afford a big set of weights but want to do strength training? Looking for a good core workout? TRX straps are your answer! Inexpensive and yet SO effective, these handy straps are light, easily slipped into your suitcase or used in your home and take literal seconds to set up.
If you are short on time, see below for a list of the top 5 TRX Strap Kits in 2017. I’ve included a short description and the links will take you straight to Amazon where you can find the current prices and sales. If you would like to see a more detailed review, you’ll find a comprehensive review a little further down, complete with pros and cons, how-to videos and workouts.
The TOP 5 TRX Strap Kits in 2017
TRX Tactical Kit: This kit is perfect for those who want an army style workout! It comes with every single thing you need to work your whole body in shape: including three ditigal bootcamp workouts and access to the TRX Force Super App. It also has a one year 100% purchase satisfaction, which means if you don’t love it you can return it for a full refund!
TRX PRO Suspension Training Home Gym: This TRX kit is similiar to the Tactical Kit except that it’s geared more towards home users. It includes an 8 week workout program, 5 video workouts specific to different parts of the body, one total body workout, and 2 extra workout videos. It also has a 100% satisfaction guarantee for one year, making this a great option to try out!
TRX Suspension Training Home Gym: This TRX kit is similiar to the Pro Kit except that it has slightly less extras included. It also includes a one year 100% purchase satisfaction guarantee and comes with six digital home workouts and a comprehensive guide on using your TRX straps to their full advantage.
TRX training – Suspension Trainer Basic Kit + Door Anchor, Complete Full Body Workouts Kit for the Home and the Road: This product is perfect for someone who wants a travel friendly kit. Geared for people on the go, this product is lighter and easier to transport but JUST as high quality as the more expensive TRX strap kits.
Lifeline Jungle Gym XT: This is a great option for those who want to give Suspension Training a try but aren’t ready to invest a lot of money in it. These are just as effective, and easy to use but are much more economical and more friendly to your budget.
Why I Love TRX
I’ve had my eye on TRX straps for quite some time now and I finally bit the bullet and bought some. For those who don’t know what they are, they’re a durable pair of straps that are efficiently designed to use either with a door/or bar that allow you to do bodyweight exercises that use your whole body. Their relatively small packaging also makes it ideal for those who travel a lot and may not have access to gym equipment but still want to do strength training. You can adjust the difficulty by merely changing your position and they provide a VERY effective core and whole body workout.
(Please note that the links below will take you to Amazon where you can see more details and current prices of products.)
I bought this pair and love them! My reasoning was that we’ll be travelling in Europe for three months (and yes, I’ll be doing a travel series on both traveling with toddlers and staying fit while on the road) and I won’t be able to bring my PowerBlock weight equipment with me. However, I’m finding that they are an excellent addition to my home gym! With three kids under the age of four, it can be a little difficult sometimes to squeeze a solid workout in, and these make it easy to do 5-10 minute sets of exercises throughout the day. This doesn’t sound like a lot, but do 4-5 10 minute sets, and by the end of the day, you’ve worked out for 40-50 minutes!
The Pros and Cons of the TRX Straps
- Inexpensive. Typical price is around $100-$300, but they often are on sale on places like Amazon so you can get them for significantly cheaper.
- Easy to use. It takes mere seconds to hook it up and the same amount of time to take it down. If you don’t have any workout ideas, there are numerous free workouts all over the internet (I’ve included some below).
- Easy to pack. You can pack it down into a small package (the one I bought comes with a handy carrying bag) and it will easily fit into any suitcase, carry on or even purse! This makes it an ideal travel companion if you want to keep up strength exercises but don’t have access to a gym or are on a budget.
- Durable. They are made to handle your weight and because of that are built to last you putting your full force against them.
- There’s not a lot of cons to something that is so effective, easy to use and cheap. The only one I can think of is that you’re limited to your body weight for workouts. So you won’t be able to make HUGE gains like you would with dumbbells or weight machines. That being said, there are so many options to make it harder or easier, that unless you’re a hardcore bodybuilder I really don’t think you’ll have a problem challenging yourself using the TRX bands.
How To Use
TRX straps are incredibly easy to use. There are a few different ways that you can set them up:
- Door: All kits come with a door mount which you just loop over the door, close the door and attach the suspension straps to the other side. The counter balance of the doorframe provides enough resistance so that you can safely put as much body force into the straps as you wish.
- Ceiling/Wall Mount: This is perfect for those who have place dedicated for their home gym and want something more permanent. To use this you need to buy a separate metal part like this one on Amazon and then follow the easy-to-follow instructions for installation. You then simply attach the straps to the metal wall mount and you’re good to go.
- A third option that is often included is a strap that allows you to attach your TRX straps to another piece of equipment when you’re on the go (think pull up bar, post, basically anything that’s stable). You simply loop the included small strap around the object and then attach the long straps to the small straps.
Intensity of Workouts:
- Harder – simply stand farther back and lean farther away from the straps
- Easier – Stand closer and at less of an angle to make your workouts easier.
Check out this video for an example of different ways to use them:
If you’re struggling for workout ideas, here are a few videos and that you can use that are great resources in using your TRX bands. Of course these just scratch the surface.. for more simply do a search for “TRX workout” on youtube or google and you will come up with thousands of results.
Where to Buy
You can find these anywhere, but my primary place of purchase is Amazon for their ease of purchase, fast shipping (two day if you have Prime) ; and easy, quick and free returns! There are also other options that I didn’t cover that you can find here if you’re interested.
If you have any questions or comments please feel free to let me know in the comments below. If not, check back soon for more articles, reviews and information on health and fitness at home.